APO-1 Survival Knife AUS8 Black Finish:
Survival Lilly has designed her first knife, namely the APO-1 Survival Knife, which is produced in Taiwan. APO-1 stands for “Apocalypse 1” or the one knife that Lilly would choose for the Apocalypse if there is only one cutting tool available.
Survival Lilly has designed her knife by the following “all-rounder” criteria:
- Full tang knife construction which is stable and made from a stainless steel which is durable and does not break or chip easily and has medium hardness.
- Strong tip design which does not break easily.
- Comfortable tapered handle scales which are made from durable G10, a material which can be sanded down to enable a custom fit to the user.
- An emergency hammer at the end of the handle.
- A tapered design at the end of the handle to enable “extended” grip for better chopping efficiency by using more leverage.
- A Lanyard hole for closed lanyards, to aid the “extended” grip.
- A thumb rail which provides more grip to the user when completing carving tasks.
- A sharp 90° spine which strikes firesteels very well.
- A robust sheath with double snap buttons which holds the knife tightly, so that the user does not lose the knife by accident.
- The black oxide finish helps prevent rust even more, however it does wear down over time when the knife is used.
Specs of the APO-1 Survival Knife BLACK:
Steel: AUS 8 (AUS 8 is a tough steel that bends rather than breaking)
Finish: Black Satin Finish (Black Oxide, can wear off with the time!)
Blade Length: 14 cm / 5.51 inches
Blade Thickness: 4,7 mm
Handle Length: 12,5 cm / 4.72 inches
Weight (including sheath): 416 gramms / 14.67 ounces
Rockwell Hardness: 57 Rc +/-1
Handle Material: Black G10
Description of Product
The APO-1 Survival Knife is made from the finest grade AUS8 steel, both tough and robust. The steel has been hardened to a Rockwell hardness of 57 RC +/-1 and the cutting edge is ground using a saber grind. On the back of the blade where it meets the handle a thumb rail is provided to aid the user by giving him/her more grip when carving. The tip was designed without a false wedge which makes the tip stronger and has less risk of breaking. (Note that the tip can bend or break if subjected to extreme tests, depending on the test materials. Such destructive tests where tips are bent or broken off are not covered by the warranty.)
In a survival situation blisters can get infected without proper medical treatment, therefore it is wise to avoid them by the intelligent design of handle scales. The APO-1 handle is made from G10, a material which is robust and tough. It has been shaped into a very comfortable handle to ensure the user can work for hours and hours without developing blisters. Furthermore, G10 is a good material to work with when it comes to sanding down the handle scales to a custom fit for the user’s hand. This is a simple process that can easily be done by using a fine grit sandpaper. The screws used in the handle are made of stainless steel. It’s a good idea to always keep them lubricated in case the knife gets wet.
At the bottom end of the knife there is a small emergency hammer which can be used to crush nuts and seeds or to smash limpets off a rock. The flat hammer can also aid the so-called “reverse grip” by putting one’s thumb onto it, to enable a better grip when stabbing.
The sheath is made from a tough polyamide (black Nylon) which is robust and holds the knife tightly. It comes with compatible moly belt loops and a double-secured retention strap. A small drainage hole is located at the very tip of the sheath to allow water to drain out of the sheath. The various holes at the perimeter of the sheath allow for good attachment of cordage or for custom made loops for a fire steel, for example. You can customize the sheath to your liking.