APO-1H Hunting Knife Stainless Steel (AUS8) Black Finish
Please take a look at our > steel guide <
Survival Lilly has created her first hunting knife: The APO1-H (“H” stands for hunter) designed in Austria and manufactured in Taiwan.
Survival Lilly has designed her hunting knife by the following criteria:
- Full tang knife construction for better stability.
- Fine tip to provide good carving and slicing capability for gutting and skinning.
- Comfortable tapered handle scales which are made from durable G10, a material which can be sanded down to enable a custom fit to the user.
- An emergency hammer at the end of the handle.
- A tapered design at the end of the handle to enable “extended” grip for better chopping efficiency by using more leverage.
- A lanyard hole for closed lanyards, to aid the “extended” grip.
- A thumb rail which provides more grip to the user when completing carving tasks.
- A sharp 90° spine which strikes firesteels very well.
- A robust kydex sheath which holds the knife tightly.
Specifics of the APO-1H Survival Knife Black Finish:
Steel: AUS8 produced by Aichi Japan (AUS8 is a tough steel that bends rather than breaking)
Finish: Black Oxide Finish
Blade Length: 12 cm / 4.72 inches (§42a konform)
Blade Thickness: 4,7 mm
Handle Length: 12,5 cm / 4.92 inches
Weight (including sheath): 390 gramms / 13.75 ounces
Rockwell Hardness: 57 Rc +/-1
Handle Material: Black G10
Sheath Material: Kydex (Custom made) ambidextrous
Description of Product
The APO-1H Hunting Knife is made from the finest grade AUS8 steel, both tough and robust. The knife is a full-tang design, hardened to a Rockwell hardness of 57 RC +/-1 and the blade is finished to a saber grind which gives great strength. The tip is delicate which will make gutting, slicing or skinning easier. The delicate tip is not suitable for heavy batoning – light batoning should be ok tough. (Note that the tip can bend or break if subjected to abuse. Such damage where tips are bent or broken off are not covered by the warranty.) The spines edges are square which provide sharp corners making it easy to strike a firesteel. Serrations are cut into the blade spine just forward of the handle to give you fine control when carving or performing other tasks requiring dexterity.
The handle scales are made from G10, a tough fiberglass laminate. In a survival situation, blisters can develop on your hand which may become infected without proper medical treatment. Much thought went into the design of the handle resulting in a very comfortable shape. G10 is easy to work with if you want to custom fit the handle scales to your hand, a simple process that you can do using fine grit sandpaper. The scales are secured to the tang with stainless steel screws. The tang at the handle is tapered in order to allow an extended grip, a way to hold the knife which can be useful when chopping, for example, by gripping the knife farther back on the handle.
A small lanyard loop located on the butt of the handle doubles as an emergency hammer which is handy when crushing nuts and seeds or smashing limpets off a rock. The loop is also useful to enable a better grip when you want to stab with the knife, by reversing your grip on the handle and placing your thumb on the emergency hammer.
The sheath is made from a tough, black Kydex which is robust and holds the knife tightly. A small drainage hole is located at the very tip of the sheath. With small modification the sheath can be worn for left-handers.